Water/Sewer Status Request

Change of Ownership, Water/ Sewer Status Letters:  Once a Wildernest property goes under contract to sell, the Title Company will reach out to AmCoBi (clientcare@amcobi.com) to ascertain water/sewer account status to determine if there is any money owed at closing.  After closing, AmCoBi will process a change of ownership for water and sewer services.


Change of ownership occurs after title change.